Sciatica is described as any pain caused by the irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the human body. With all the physical work we do, back pain is an extremely common occurrence and the most common conditions related to back pain is Sciatica. Contrary to popular belief, Sciatica is not a disease; rather it’s a set of symptoms that cause varying degrees of pain. Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve that runs from the lower back down to the back of the knee is compressed or irritated.
How do I know its sciatica?
Although there are no default symptoms for sciatica, some symptoms are fairly common and occur in most cases. Here are some of the most common symptoms associated:
- Difficulty in moving a leg or a foot ( pain in both legs is uncommon)
- Sudden sharp pain when standing up
- Pain in the buttocks
- A burning or tingling sensation down the leg
- Rear leg pain.
What are the causes of sciatica?
- Slipped discs in the spine
- Misaligned vertebrae
- Sitting on your wallet for long periods of time
Can it be treated?
Fortunately, sciatica is not only manageable but it is treatable. Remedies could be medical, surgical, or non-invasive. Currently, chiropractic treatment is increasingly being used to relieve back pain and the symptoms of sciatica.
Although there are quite a few methods of Chiropractic treatment, spinal adjustments and manipulation have proved to be safe and most effective against sciatica.
Spinal adjustments must be made by a certified chiropractors and back specialists. The chiropractor will use their hands to apply pressure to joints and misaligned vertebrae in order to alleviate pressure and return the vertebrae to the correct spinal position.
The techniques used for spinal adjustments and manipulation vary in the methods used. The three main techniques used are:
- Diversified treatment – This is the application of pressure in quick thrusts over the affected areas.
- Gonstead procedure – This is almost the same as diversified treatment, but it may involve the use of specialized equipment like chest-knee chairs.
- The drop technique -This checks for dislocations and misalignments and then a weight is added to the patient so that they are in the upward position. A mild thrust is applied to the weight like a drop, thus correcting the misalignments.
What are the benefits of Chiropractic Treatment?
- Chiropractic treatment is non-invasive and exercises the body’s ability to self-heal.
- Chiropractic treatment has been shown to be effective in pain alleviation immediately after treatment. In some cases, relief comes later, but typically within 24 hours.
- There are no drugs used in the process unless tests reveal other symptoms that require attention from another doctor.
- The risk for any post-manipulation injury is very low, making the procedure very safe.
Don’t continue to live with your back pain. There are options available to relieve the pain and stress you live with every day. If you think you may be suffering from Sciatica, contact Whitehall Health Centre to schedule your appointment. With 20 years of experience, our chiropractic service is second to none!